Monday, August 13, 2012

A single mother is born

A new little person has entered the world and in doing so has changed the life of many others.

This weekend I stayed up all Saturday night with one of my best friends while she waited for her son to be born.  Being the sort of person that's not particularly good with needles and blood etc I did the first 12 hours and one of her other best friends was there for the painful part and the birth.  What a team!
Our friend was amazing through this whole experience.  Calm, relaxed and rode through the early contractions without even a wrinkle on her face at a 6 out of 10 level of pain I think I would have been at least scrunching my eyes.

So why was this journey so different than others?  Well maybe it wasn't.  Everyone has their own reason to become a mother.  My friend had, like many others, always wanted to be a mother. She has been a nanny for over 20 years and was desperate for the day when she could hear the words "Mummy" and some little fellow was running to her instead of straight past her.

So she embarked on a journey......a very daring journey that took a tremendous amount of strength and courage, she set out to become a single mother.  What an honour it has been to be beside her every step of the way.  From the begining feelings of doubt and choosing a donor to moral support through the failed attempts where she felt like it was never going to happen to yesterday when her son was born, 4 weeks early and took us all by surprise but he was ready to come and meet her.

My friend took great strength and information from the online boards that she is a part of. They have been a tower of support for her through this whole process.  As she explained to me yesterday there are many different areas of the board, there are different members in different sections such as a section for women who are trying to become pregnant, who are pregnant, who have been pregnant etc etc  I know she visited a few different areas and asked questions and was able to answer questions and it helped her tremendously through the whole procedure.  Yesterday I witnessed all the love and support that came flooding towards her from the women on these boards when she posted that she was in the hospital and little 'beany' was on his way.  It touched my heart to think there were all these people reaching out to her that hadn't even met her.

My friend has a tremendous amount of love and support from her various groups of friends both online and in person and her family overseas who has stood by her every step of the way.....this has to make such a staggering difference on the road that she has been on and is about to be on.  I have to think that knowledge, love and support are just as important factors as being healthy and having a great doctor and team of nurses.  I know my friend has been touched by many people in this last year and is so very grateful to each and every single one of them.

I realize there are many women out there who struggle with becoming pregnant.  I don't know if this little story will help you to stay strong and stick with it or perhaps it will give other women who are thinking about becoming a single mother courage, strength and the power to go ahead and take action.

If you are thinking of becoming a single mother surround yourself with like minded people, people who love and support you for what you want to do even if this means making new friends along the way.  Believe in yourself, educate yourself and be determined.
 
Here is a very helpful site to visit for informarion and support http://www.singlemothersbychoice.org/

Always believe that dreams can come true.

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous post... I hope many people read this and like me, become inspired by your words.. Love, friendship and support have enormous power in our lives.. if only everyone could realize it.

    ReplyDelete